Monday, February 10, 2014

Maybe Valentine





Outfit Details:
Kate Spade "fit to be veiled" hat (as seen on my Westfield Style cold weather accessories round up)
Ray-Ban sunglasses c/o Sunglass Hut
ASOS coat
Forever 21 dress
Lipstick combo of MAC "Unlimited" and Make Up For Ever #4

I already dress like every day is Valentine's Day; it's actually a little ridiculous how much of my closet is some shade of red or pink. But as much as I love the theme of it all, and the ubiquitous hearts and chocolates that come with, I am actually a little more jaded than I let on. Maybe "jaded" isn't really the word - it's more of an indifference to the actual day, the typical gifts it requires, and the overpacked restaurants with prix fixe menus. It's just that at some point, I realized it wasn't even about love or lack thereof - many of my friends call it "National Singles Awareness Day" - it's about having so many of my favorite things in one giant, overdone theme. That's why I was quick to jump at the opportunity to attend Sunglass Hut's offbeat V-Day party, which was based around Drag Queen Bingo and lots of sweets. Drag queens, bingo, sunglasses, and cupcakes? What's so bad about that? It sounds like heaven, and it was. I actually won one round (and got these Ray-Bans as a prize). I have never won Bingo, before - it was a valentine's miracle.

I wasn't always so quick to embrace V-Day, as my friends and family (and longtime readers) know. It was fun when we were little and there was a rule that each student had to give every single classmate a valentine. But even then, I was always disappointed when whatever boy I liked would inevitably choose a way too platonic card for me. Heartbreaking. Young love is positively brutal, isn't it?

Flash forward to high school: I used to wear all black and a shirt that said "Anti-Valentine" on Valentine's Day. I wasn't one for subtleties. I also had one that said "HATE ME" - so as you can probably deduce, I was a very pleasant teenager to be around. Back then, it was all about getting a carnation delivered to your homeroom from your high school sweetheart, or collecting hearts from boys in all of your classes and putting them all over your shirt. Yes, that was a thing, and no, I never got any. The most action I got was when I was forced to dress in a renaissance getup and perform sonnet-grams, which is just as humiliating as it sounds. It was the worst, and I gave up on ever finding romance in the form of a flower or a paper heart. That is, until walked into my Physics class and found a bouquet of roses on my desk , with a note that said it was from a secret admirer. For about five seconds, I was overwhelmed with the magic of this Valentine's Day miracle, until my teacher spilled the beans and told me that my gay best friend left them for me. It didn't make me sad, though - it made laugh and feel lighter. Someone loved me enough to try and make my day brighter, even if it was based on a little white lie. I carried those roses around all day, and hoped that my high school crush was wondering who gave them to me and kicking himself for missing his chance (he wasn't, but a girl can dream). In that moment of fictional romance and sweet aromatics, I came to the conclusion that maybe Valentine's Day wasn't all that bad. Or perhaps it was when I realized that as soon as it's over, all of the candy goes on sale and you can have chocolate forever and ever. Either way, I'm glad I came around to it…if only because I no longer have enough black garments in my closet to make a decent outfit.

39 comments:

  1. If you're single, you feel bad about it every day, so there's no need for a day to make you feel even worse. And if you're in a couple, you should ideally show each other you care every day, so the day is completely pointless.

    Clearly, you are not the only jaded one! ;)

    Shani x
    She Dreams in Perfect French

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I probably own too much pink as well!

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous, always!! Beautiful dress and beanie :) You're such a sweet person, lovely post!

    http://lartoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This outfit is adorable. I love the pink coat. I've been seeing these a lot for V Day outfit posts.

    Also, I agree with the post before mine. I would like the day more if it wasn't so commercialized as the day of love for couples. It really does make you feel kind of bad about your life if you're single. If you're a couple, you should be doing little things to show you care throughout the year and not just on this one day.

    http://noreceipts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair is getting longer and I love the hat =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm diggin' the floral. i wish I had the kind of personality that could pull of so many bright and girly colors at once...but sadly, I look like a fool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beanie is so gorgeous, love the pale pink, goes with your floral top so well ;)

    New Post up...
    www.Tsangtastic.com

    www.Tsangtastic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so pretty, and I love the yellowish tint to your photos! That hat is also awesome.
    Carlee
    Little Sloth

    ReplyDelete
  9. so adorable! i love the Kate Spade hat!
    xo,
    maddie

    http://feelingmagenta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend just told me over lunch that pale pink is my colour and I need to wear more of it. I also saw that Kate Spade hat on her website and wondered who could pull that off? Clearly I have my answer. You look adorable! Loved this trip with the ghost of Valentines past. You really do write beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You never fail to look gorgeous. And I've never been Bothered about valentine's Day either way <3

    Cute to the Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, there are such high expectations this time of year and it is one big commercialized holiday. I still try to enjoy it because it’s near my birthday but I get tired of seeing people get all hung up over how big their flower arrangements were compared to someone elses or making sure to plan the “perfect” date night, it makes it not fun anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful outfit! The netting on the beanie is so awesome... never seen anything like that before.

    xo, Liz
    www.casualconcern.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this look! I've never seen a veil on a beanie.
    esqstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. so stunning!! love this look.

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sound just like me in high school! I felt the same way about Valentine's Day (and sometimes I still do) but I try to use Valentine's Day as a way to express love for everyone in my life - not just my beau. That was sweet of your friend to leave you roses on your desk! That's a wonderful friend! xoxo
    PS - Drag Queen Bingo sounds like my kind of party!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look so gorgeous Keiko!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this look for Valentine's Day - and the beanie is so cute!

    x greta
    flourish-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love how cute, feminine, and elegant the look is! It also looks suitable for the cold weather, too, which is a huge plus.

    Nicole
    http://fashionbistro.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. That coat is stunning!

    www.loveandclothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was one of the best things I've read it a long while!!! I'm also a Valentines day cynic, but decided this year to buy a friend who deserves it an anonymous flower. Maybe it'll brighten her day the way yours was!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That Kate Spade hat is oh so Valentine's appropriate! Ha ha! Super cute! Xoxo 3girls1apple.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're so inspiring & a real beaut as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never celebrated it, never needed to. I've never gotten a thing and that's fine. It can wait until I am with someone. This year I will buy my own cupcake to myself and not pretend it's from someone else like some people I know have done

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You look beautiful! :)

    Love, Tatjana
    http://missfuckingfashion.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a fun look! <3

    xoxo,
    Andrea

    www.andreaeveryday.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your style is incredibly fun and spontaneous! The hat paired with the bold dress definitely brought those two words to mind. I am always looking for ways to incorporate such elements.

    www.mintandlolly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. So pretty! Love these images. Happy Valentine's Day!

    xoxo Ana
    The Broken Stiletto blog

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely coat!

    Xoxo

    www.rosyrubies.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I need an "anti-Valentine" shirt. It sounds hilariously satisfying to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i loved your outfit, looks so cute !
    i agree with you on the valentines day though.
    i think you should show your loved ones how much you care every day of the year
    not just that one day. BUT it does feel nice to over do it for atleast one day hehe


    nuestrowonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete