Monday, August 18, 2014

Hair How To: Volumized Ponytail Tutorial For Short Hair



Today's hair tutorial was based off of a reader's request, who wanted to know how I do my usual ponytail. Though I've been enjoying my shorter hair, I sometimes miss the versatility that came with the length. I rarely ever wore my hair down; I've always preferred updos. Short hair can make that a little limiting and somewhat complicated, but I've found my ways - like this faux updo and my nubby little ponytail. With my hair length, it can be difficult to gather everything into one elastic. Even when it gets just long enough to do so, it looks a little sad and flat. I've never liked a sleek ponytail on me; I prefer volume. Luckily, I've found that to be perfectly suited to my current style. Let me show you how! Follow the steps below to recreate my volumized ponytail.



Start with second day hair (preferably).



Spritz your roots with dry shampoo. This soaks up the oils and adds some texture to your hair, which helps when adding volume.



Tease (gently comb backward, toward instead of away from your scalp) your hair at the crown of your head. I like to start in small sections from the front, near my bangs and work my way back, and I also tease the roots at the sides of my head, too.



At this point, your hair should look a little crazy, like you stuck your finger in an electrical outlet, or you're Robert Smith of The Cure. You can take a break and start singing Just Like Heaven, if you want. It's my ringtone, if you need some backup.



Smooth only the top layer of your hair with a comb, to hide the rat's nest you just created.



Pull up half of your hair, pushing up from the back to create even more volume. Criss-cross two bobby pins to secure (use more, if you need them).



Tie up the remaining hair with an elastic.



Gently loosen up the sides with your fingers.





That's it. Enjoy your tiny ponytail!

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful hairdos and great tutorial :)

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute and super pretty :)

    Aish
    http://anewsunnyday.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this hairdo on you! Looking beautiful!

    http://lartoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah - I LOVE your eyes here! Can you tell me what products you used for this particular look?! The hair is adorable too, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics!

      Delete
  5. such a cute style! looks amazing on you.

    www.amoderngypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is super useful - may hair is almost long enough for this! Beautiful!

    The Flying Clubhouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous, Keiko, just what I needed. Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute, but I'm afraid my hair still isn't long enough. One day I'll give it a try ;).

    Tamara
    www.trulytamara.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the 'do, now we need a make-up tutorial for this beautiful look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was just about to ask you how you do this look! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! I've been trying to do a variation on this hairstyle for awhile, but I always have issues with it. I can never seem to get my hair to stop parting when I pull it back and pin it! Any suggestions for how to combat that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dry shampoo / teasing combo combats that - have you done that? also, spritz on a little hairspray and comb it in place.

      Delete
  12. I have shorter hair too! I will have to try it
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so trying this tomorrow, my mid-length hair is feeling a little lifeless at the moment, this might give it a bit of a boost!

    Tweet Tweet xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love your hair style and blog. Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

    Michael Kors Handbags UK

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! Lovely style!

    www.PurseFixation.com
    Toast your Purse with an Outfit!
    Fashion Advice, Events and More

    ReplyDelete
  16. great tutorial.
    love this.
    I miss tips on short hair hair styles- but your blog is amaze for that

    x
    e d i o t

    ReplyDelete
  17. So Cute! I have short hair and it's hard to find cute ways to style t. This ones great!

    XO, Jess
    thecustomcollective.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ms Keiko, You have grown up to be a stunning woman! :)

    ReplyDelete