Since I started my Invisalign® clear aligners treatment, I’ve already started paying more attention to enhancing my smile in other ways. For those of you who missed my last posts (read those posts here), I'm currently receiving complimentary Invisalign treatment in exchange for sharing my experience, once a month. Before I check in with my orthodontist and give you all my next treatment update, I wanted to share a few tips I have for getting the perfect smile - or in cases like my own, faking it till you make it.
Though I was always pretty self conscious about my teeth, I never let it keep me from smiling in photographs or bringing attention to my lips with bold lipsticks. It sounds contradictory, I know, but I always felt that covering it up would only magnify my insecurities. So, I put on some bright lipstick and smiled, promising myself that one day, I would get my teeth straightened - but until then, I’d make the most of it. Now, I’m well into my treatment, so I kept that promise to myself - but just in case you’re interested in knowing more about my routine, here’s how I’m making the most of my smile.
- At home whitening: I never had much luck with the strips, or maybe I just didn’t have the patience to keep doing them - probably the latter. My orthodontist introduced me to this super effective whitening gel that you can either buy from your dentist, or purchase online. Needless to say, it’s much less expensive online. I recommend going with the lower percentage, though; I got the higher one and it made my teeth shockingly sensitive for a few days. That being said, the results are great!
- Floss picks: Remember that Mitch Hedberg joke about how hard it is to start flossing? I have always been that girl who can’t seem to be bothered with flossing, save for once a month when I’m like, “Wow, I haven’t flossed in a long time.” About a year ago, I picked up some of these floss picks and that completely changed. I don’t know why it makes such a big difference, but something about grabbing an already prepared floss pick vs. cutting a piece of floss is apparently much more convenient for my lazy self. Now, I floss all the time.
- Invisalign: This one is the most obvious, clearly! After years of talking about doing it, I finally started my treatment, and it was the best decision. The idea of being an adult with a mouth full of braces was a little daunting, and it wasn't until several of my friends got Invisalign that I realized it was a viable option for me. No braces! I’m still early on in my treatment and I can already see and feel such a difference. Actually making the appointment and going for the consultation was the hard part, because I’m the queen of procrastination - the treatment is the easy part. Now, I’m wishing I started sooner…but there’s not that long to go.
- Etre Belle Liplift Peel exfoliator: Since I wear a lot of lip products, it’s really important that I regularly exfoliate. Chapped, peeling lips don’t hide beneath color, and they’re incredibly uncomfortable. I usually use a little bit of honey and sugar for a homemade scrub (coconut oil is nice, too) - but my sister introduced me to this lip peel and it’s great for when they need a little extra help.
- Aquaphor: After exfoliating, it’s time to rehydrate! I put this on every single night, and reapply during the day. I’m also slightly addicted to the minty tingle of Burt’s Bees (I always have one on me), but Aquaphor does a better job at keeping my lips soft and hydrated. I wear a lot of matte lip colors, and my trick is to remove halfway through the day, let the Aquaphor soak in for a bit, then reapply.
- A semi-sheer grape lipstick, like NARS Damage: Besides my ubiquitous red lip, two of my favorite shades to wear are often unsung heroes in the lip color world: grape and rose. The purplish hue often scares people off, but it’s one of the most wearable colors. The bonus? It makes your teeth look whiter. When wearing a sheer color, I apply straight from the tube and then use my finger to dab and blend the edges, to make it look as natural as possible. Have you ever noticed that I stay away from really warm shades and super pale pinks? It’s not just because of my skin tone - it’s because those make my teeth look less than stellar.
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in San Paulo: The latter of the unsung heroes, this rosy hue is often dismissed as an old lady color, along with mauve. Rose is my absolute favorite shade to wear - particularly with subtle blue undertones, to make my teeth look whiter. This matte lip cream applies like a gloss but looks like a retro matte lipstick, and has become my absolute favorite because it doesn’t transfer. I was afraid I would have to give up lipstick, but matte finishes came to my rescue!
- Highlighter: I’ve already demonstrated how much I love highlighters, and that doesn’t stop at the cheek and brow bones. I dab the tiniest bit of this highlighter onto my cupid’s bow to make my lips pop. If I want more dimension, I blend a little bit on the middle of my bottom lip.
So, now you know my routine - do you have anything to share? Any questions? Let me know, and I’ll do my best to help you out!
p.s. If you are interested in Invisalign clear aligners treatment, you can request more info, here.
I am an Invisalign Spokesperson and am receiving complimentary Invisalign treatment. All opinions expressed are my own. Full disclosure: http://www.invisalign.com/pages/spokespersondisclosure