(click for full size)
With Halloween quickly approaching, a lot of us are scrambling to put together a last minute costume. I'm a big fan of DIY costumes, whether they're self-made, put together with items from your closet, or in this case, heavily reliant on makeup. I've already decided on my final costume - which you'll see on Halloween! - but I had a lot of fun experimenting with different makeup looks, to celebrate the occasion. This one is reminiscent of Roy Lichtenstein's work, which was inspired by comic book art (hence the red dots, to recreate the print patterns). Want to recreate this pop art makeup look? Follow my step by step tutorial!
1) Prep your face with primer and foundation.
3) Use liquid liner to draw a thick, graphic cat eye. Refer to my tutorial, if you need some pointers!
4) Outline the shadow with a thick line, above or at the crease.
5) I switched to a felt tip liquid liner to outline some of my features. I mainly stuck to the left side of my face, outlining my jaw, nose, cheekbone, etc.
7) Use the back of a small brush and red cream blush or shadow, to dot your face. I did it in diagonals, to keep a sort of order. I used a Ben Nye cream, with a light hand, but this face and body product (or a MAC chromacake) would work really well. I imagine a red liner would also do, in a pinch!
8) Apply red lipstick and blot excess. I used NARS Jungle Red.
9) Line with black liner. For this, I used regular black eyeliner.
10) Use a white cream shadow to create artificial highlights.
That's it! Add a bright wig or a thought bubble (or both!) and you're done!