Monday, October 27, 2014

Makeup Monday: Pop Art Makeup Tutorial



(click for full size)

With Halloween quickly approaching, a lot of us are scrambling to put together a last minute costume. I'm a big fan of DIY costumes, whether they're self-made, put together with items from your closet, or in this case, heavily reliant on makeup. I've already decided on my final costume - which you'll see on Halloween! - but I had a lot of fun experimenting with different makeup looks, to celebrate the occasion. This one is reminiscent of Roy Lichtenstein's work, which was inspired by comic book art (hence the red dots, to recreate the print patterns). Want to recreate this pop art makeup look? Follow my step by step tutorial!

1) Prep your face with primer and foundation. 
2) Apply bright shadow to your lids. I used Sugarpill's "Afterparty"

3) Use liquid liner to draw a thick, graphic cat eye. Refer to my tutorial, if you need some pointers! 

4) Outline the shadow with a thick line, above or at the crease. 

5) I switched to a felt tip liquid liner to outline some of my features. I mainly stuck to the left side of my face, outlining my jaw, nose, cheekbone, etc. 

6) Color in your brows with black liquid liner. I made mine a little furrowed, to emphasize the comic-book aspect of it.
 
7) Use the back of a small brush and red cream blush or shadow, to dot your face. I did it in diagonals, to keep a sort of order. I used a Ben Nye cream, with a light hand, but this face and body product (or a MAC chromacake) would work really well. I imagine a red liner would also do, in a pinch! 

8) Apply red lipstick and blot excess. I used NARS Jungle Red.
 
9) Line with black liner. For this, I used regular black eyeliner.
 
10) Use a white cream shadow to create artificial highlights.

That's it! Add a bright wig or a thought bubble (or both!) and you're done!





29 comments:

  1. In all the years that I've read your blog, Keiko, I've never commented on anything you've written. I've enjoyed reading your posts, getting to know you and your really sweet circle through photos. But this tutorial, this necessitates, no, commands a response - THIS IS EPIC. Warhol would be oh so proud :)

    xo Sheela xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool!


    pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! What a great idea!

    www.bluelabelsboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial! This is one of the best I've seen in a long time.
    http://www.fashionablyspeakn.com/2014/10/meet-cast-flower-falling.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very creative and gifted girl Keiko. Love this.

    http://imyownmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is amazing. You are so talented with makeup.


    www.FashionSnag.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so cool


    http://hashtagliz.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is incredible! When I saw the photo in my bloglovin' feed it didn't even look like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Remind me to never dye my hair yellow;)

      Delete
  9. Truly incredible. I've seen this done before, but this is the best rendition of Lichtenstein I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a Lichtenstein girl for Halloween a few years ago, I sure wish this tutorial was around back then- I was only working off a tiny google image when I did mine! I used face paint instead of regular makeup, and it was really cake-y. This is so crisp! Great job. Kind of makes me want to revisit this costume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween makeup can be so difficult to work with, and most regular makeup will work just as well! I do love MAC Chromacakes, though - they're water activated and go on really smoothly.

      Delete
  11. Oh my lord, this is incredible *-*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your comments, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your talent with makeup never ceases to amaze me - this is simply amazing! You always have the best Halloween costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing!
    xo,
    http://yaudycristinafashionista.blogspot.com/2014/10/pink-cocoon.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great! I've seen other people re-create this look but I love yours the best and the tutorial to go along with it. Great job.

    Aleisha
    http://buttonforabird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is by far the most impressive halloween tutorial I have seen! I love it so much! :)

    http://akamidge.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I would have found your blog prior to my most recent NYC buying trip. You show case the products and style so well. I am going to pass your articles onto my colleagues. You gained a subscriber here.
    http://massvisioninc.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an amazing job. You make it look so easy, but I'm guessing it takes some patience to get it this perfect. :)

    www.mishmoshmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice makeup
    such a good idea for hallowen :)

    http://mariecsdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. So talented!
    xo,
    Melissa
    MissyOnMadison.com
    Enter My Dora Landa NY Giveaway --> http://bit.ly/1wD8pIi

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks amazingly cool, Keiko! I may have to give it a try :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am with Shelagoh, I read but don't comment normally but this DEMANDS a comment! This is pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  23. crazy how some people can do it perfectly! I wish i was one of them :)


    Isle-of-View

    "Repeat 'isle-of-view' 5 x"

    ReplyDelete