Monday, November 24, 2014

Makeup Monday: Flawless Skin Tutorial



You all are always asking how I have such perfect skin, and now you know the truth: I don't! But you guys have seen me without makeup many times, if you've seen past tutorials (and the occasional instagram), so I guess it was never a secret. I'm usually a BB Cream kind of girl (I alternate between Too Faced and Dr. Jart), but sometimes - like right now - my skin needs a little extra help. It's a combination of allergies, cold weather, hormones, and just having pale, sensitive skin that shows every imperfection. Though I need a little more coverage, it doesn't mean I'm going to cake on the makeup.  I love my freckles and beauty marks, and want them to show through. The trick is to use as little foundation as possible - and a little bit can go such a long way, if you do it properly. Here's a step by step tutorial on how to fake your way to perfect skin, when the beauty balm isn't enough: 



1. Start with a moisturized face, and prep with primer. I used Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.


2. Conceal any under eye circles. I use a different concealer for dark circles than blemishes - you need something with an orangey tint, to combat the grayish blue tones. I used bareMinerals concealer. I like to use my ring finger to pat and roll the concealer; imagine inking a fingerprint. This warms up the concealer and helps it sink in, and the pat/roll doesn't wipe it away, like rubbing does.


3. Apply your foundation (I used Urban Decay Naked Skin). This can be done with your finger, a foundation brush, sponge, etc. My applicator of choice is the Beauty Blender. I soak it in water, squeeze out the excess, and apply in a bouncing motion. This gives the foundation a sheer, flawless finish.


4. Now, use the pointed end to get any smaller details: around the nose, under and at the corners of your eyes. This will also help blend the eye concealer seamlessly - but make sure to lightly tap the blender, not rub, or you'll wipe away the concealer.


5. Conceal any blemishes. You might be wondering why I save this for after foundation -- it's because normally, blemishes require a little more love, and you don't want to wipe away all that work. That will lead to more layering, and eventually you'll have a mound of caked on concealer. I generally use a concealer brush (both the brush and concealer are from Anastasia Beverly Hills), because it's a little more precise. Just dab the tiniest bit of concealer and tap, tap, tap. If I need extra blending, I lightly dab it with the larger end of the beauty blender (no extra product added).


6. Dot highlighter along your cheekbones and blend with your fingers. I used Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer in Rose Gold.


7. Apply blush to the apples of your cheeks (I used NARS Orgasm). When I want a natural, diffused flush, I use the MAC 187, and swirl in small, circular motions.




I finished by filling in my brows (check out my brow tutorial) and adding lip gloss (Urban Decay's "Sesso" from the new Naked On The Run palette) - I even skipped mascara. All done!




18 comments:

  1. Amazing tutorial! I love your natural makeup!

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get a better foundation/coverage routine for this time of the year. You are flawless, before and after makeup!

    Jx www.feelingstylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look beautiful with/without makeup. I kinda see scarlett johansson in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great tutorial! Your skin always looks amazing and this is just what I needed for this time of year!

    Heidi D.
    www.wishesandreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfect natural look

    http://hashtagliz.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tips!

    http://www.bluelabelsboutique.com/collections/tops

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're gorgeous!


    xxLK
    www.ellekae.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skin is beautiful before, too! Thank you for the pictorial! I always look forward to your Monday posts ^_^
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright, you've finally convinced me to fork over money for a beauty blender!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keiko--you look lovely as always!

    Two questions: you've mentioned before that products with SPF can make ppl look chalky in photographs, but you don't look at all chalky here. I'm shopping for a new primer and was thinking about Hourglass--just confirming that you haven't found this to be a problem in photographs?

    Also, what lipstick are you using? So pretty! I'll echo Kinsey's comment, too, re: Beauty Blender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy! SPF can give ghost face in flash photographs, but I'm using natural light in these photos. I've also only experienced the issue with makeup and not primer, but haven't tested that, yet. I wear SPF daily, since I'm so fair skinned and want to protect my skin, but if I know I'm being photographed with flash, I'll skip it. Also, the lip color is a combo of Milani "most natural" lip pencil and Urban Decay "Sesso" gloss.

      Delete
    2. Oh, right! I'm not a fan of flash photography anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the feedback!

      Love your blog and Instagram, btw, thanks for keeping us posted on what's fun to experiment with, what's cool to wear, and for always being such a great source of info and inspiration. <3 I'm a relatively new follower of a couple of months, but it always makes me happy to come here.

      Delete
  11. Loving the simplicity of this! You look gorgeous as always! I actually think your skin is quite nice bare too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really into your eyebrows...they need a blog in their own right!!

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Keiko! Thanks for this tutorial! I have acne-prone skin so I'm really not into make-up but if there's an event, I prefer the natural/no make-up look. And this definitely will be my included in my go-to's.

    ReplyDelete