Whenever I have something to look forward to, time seems to fly by - and I've had a lot to look forward to, lately. It seems like only yesterday that I was dreaming of one day going to Paris, and now I'm back from my second trip! After just a few days of being back in NYC, Bobby, Miku, and I headed down to South Florida to spend some time with my family. We took a little Disney detour with two of the little ones - my niece, Roxy and nephew, Ryder - and we'll be back in South Florida for a few more days before we head back. As always, you can follow my adventures in real time on instagram!
I was recently in Paris (!!!) with three of my good friends: Eliot, Helena, and Angie. Each day, when we left our little apartment (which Angie found on Airbnb), we found it entertaining to see how differently we all dressed. Eliot was always chic and a bit edgy in all black, Helena in her tailored, luxe classics, Angie casual and cool, and me in something like cat tights or a vintage trapeze dress .We took to calling ourselves the Spice Girls - but don't worry, we won't be carrying that name with us (or singing any group songs outside of karaoke). I can't imagine any single one of them putting on a pair of cat tights, and it's doubtful you'll ever find me in a pair of Louboutins. But that's the beauty of our friendship: we have such different backgrounds, such different taste in so many things - and yet, we get along famously. Now, if only we could get a record deal.
Happy Memorial Day weekend! Does anyone have any big plans? I'll be speaking at BeautyCon on Saturday - general admission tickets will be available on site. Hope to see you there! In the meantime, here are some click-worthy links to check out:
My little sister, Amanda, and Samara were recently in town for Samara's birthday - and though the weather seemed steadfast in its desire to quite literally rain on our parade (well, not parade, but birthday festivities are close enough), we managed to have a couple of clear days. On one of those such days, we headed out to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden to see the cherry blossoms in full bloom. After such a harsh winter, the cherry blossoms were something of miracle; barely anything else in the gardens had yet bloomed, making them stand out even more in all their blushing pink, ethereal glory. It's such a shame that they leave almost as soon as they arrive, given their stunning beauty. But I suppose they would be much less appreciated if they weren't so transient - and my, doesn't that apply to most things in life?
I recently got my first Invisalign® aligners! As of this post, I'm on my second set - but I'm wearing the very first in these pictures. For those of you who missed my last posts (read those posts here), I'm currently receiving complimentary Invisalign® treatment in exchange for sharing my experience, once a month.
I'm officially on the road to straighter teeth. I wanted to fill you all in on my first month of treatment, and what it entails. I'll be wearing my first set of aligners (on top and bottom) for two weeks, then I switch to the second set for two weeks, as well. Once I'm done with those, I'll be going back in to Dr. Zhu at Manhattan Bridge Orthodontics to get my attachments. So, keep in mind that I am only wearing the initial aligners in these photos, not the clear attachments that will be fixed to some of my teeth. Once I get those, I'll make sure to update with more photos, so you can see what those are like.
Here's what I know about wearing the aligners, so far:
• No eating or drinking (except water or seltzer) while the aligners are in. I remove them for every meal, brush my teeth, clean the aligners (no hot water!), and put them back in. This process has helped me resist compulsive snacking, and I've been drinking a lot more water.
• The blue case is always at my side, in case I need to take my aligners out. It also contains what was introduced to me as rubber gum, little rubber pieces that you bite down on to secure the aligners, once you put them on.
• The red case is used for the previous aligners, which should be kept in case they need to be re-used. I'm going to do my best to make sure I don't have to backtrack, but it's good to have them just in case!
• The optimal wear for the aligners is 22 hours a day, with time permitted for meals and snacks. Mine might be more like 20-22, depending on if I'm out to dinner or at home.
So far, so good. It took me a few days to get used to having the Invisalign aligners in, but now I'm adjusted to the routine and I've found it easy to adapt. These have been pretty comfortable, but they warned me that the one that will take some getting used to is the initial set with the attachments, so I'll have to wait and see. But since the pressure means it's shifting my teeth, I'm okay with that. I'll check back in, once I have the attachments on!
p.s. If you are interested in Invisalign treatment, you can request more info, here.
I'm interrupting my vacation to bring you a quick makeup tutorial, inspired by the makeup from Chanel Haute Couture Spring 2014. I used makeup I already had in my bag, so it's a little less dramatic than the chunky hologram glitter. But the silver glitter liner stays put like no other! Want to see how I recreated this look? Follow the steps, below:
1) Line the upper lash line with Stila liquid liner. It may seem redundant to use two liquid liners but this one has a felt tip and a marker-like consistency, which is great for getting between the lashes and preventing that separation of line and lashes.
3) Add the wing. A good way to judge the wing's placement is to start at the outer corner and act as though you're making a continuous line from your lower lash line's direction. Check this old tutorial for specific instructions!
4) Extend the line at your inner corner, creating a small triangle.
You may have already seen a couple of these photos in my Westfield Style post, but since I'm currently back in Paris with three of girlfriends, I thought it was an appropriate set to put up! I'll still be posting regularly, but you can also follow along in real time on my instagram. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!
Everyone knows I love a good theme, and I love being matchy matchy. When OtterBox asked me to create an outfit inspired by my phone case from their Symmetry Series, I went all out in lilac and blush - a favorite color palette of mine. The case is just my style and will still protect my phone from getting damaged, and I've been known to match my tech accessories to my outfit (and vice versa), so it wasn't far off from...basically every day of my life. I went with one of my favorite dresses, whose print - along with the matching ring on my finger - mimicked the colorful geometry of the case. The flower crown was a perfect match for the garden party I was set to attend, but to be honest, I never need an excuse to wear a flower crown. Check out my collaborative Pinterest board with OtterBox for more inspiration in dreamy lilac and blush, and then make sure to enter to win a $2500 shopping spree!