Saturday, January 24, 2015

New Year, New You.

Can you believe that the first month of 2015 is almost over? Time flies, and with each passing day, our resolutions get forgotten. This year, I picked a few that are more realistic. Even though we're only one month in, I'm off to a good start. What are your resolutions? Here are mine:

1. Eating in more. Even though it might seem silly, this is at the tippy top of my list. I eat out way too often, and when I’m not out, I’m ordering in. Seriously, I’m ashamed when I see how many Seamless charges are on my bank account…it’s embarrassing. Bobby is a great cook, but I have never really tried, past sandwiches, eggs, and the occasional taco night. This year, I’m going to start cooking. Nothing crazy - I’m not going to aim for Top Chef or anything, just simple things to keep me from caving in and saying, “I’ll just order something." The goal is to limit eating out and see how much money I can save by doing so. This also meant I had to delete my Seamless app. Farewell, my darling!

2. Finishing my Invisalign treatment. (For those of you who missed my last posts (read those posts here), I'm currently receiving complimentary Invisalign® treatment in exchange for sharing my experience). I’m more than halfway through my Invisalign treatment, and as long as I consistently wear my clear aligners (and diligently press the attachments when I put them on), I’ll be done in about six months. Even though I’ve gotten used to wearing them, I can’t wait to be done — because that means my teeth will be straight! I’ve enjoyed sharing my journey with you, and especially love hearing about your own experiences. If you are interested in Invisalign clear aligner treatment, you can request more info, here.

3. Make more plans…and keep them. I can’t count the number of times I’ve made plans without setting them in stone, only for no one to follow through. “Let’s plan a trip!” or “Let’s get together next week!” usually falls through the cracks, unless someone takes the initiative to set concrete plans. I was catching up with a friend, the other day, when we realized we hadn’t seen each other in months…and we live in the same city. We talk all the time, but I’ve always been so weird about making the first move. I always worry that I’ll be bothering them. Last year, my friends and I made plans to go to Paris. It seemed like idle chatter, until someone stepped up and set a date, found flights, and got the ball rolling. Next thing you know, we were on our way to Paris. Whether just catching up with a friend over coffee or finally planning that girls’ trip with Kim and Claudia, I’m going to be more proactive.

19 comments:

  1. These sound like great resolutions. Eating in definitely saves money! It's also healthier, for the most part...because you know exactly what goes in your meal.

    Thanks for sharing these. You look gorgeous in that photo!

    xo Azu

    www.raven-locks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to healthier! I make much healthier choices when I'm at home.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely with you on needing to keep plans. I'm so bad at getting caught up in the moment with making plans then never following through with them. A trip to Paris with friends sounds amazing!

    Tessa at Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating in is such a good way to save money, I'm doing this at the moment but I'm worried I'll stop when I start back at college. I'll have to start bringing in a packed lunch!

    Claire // Technicolour Dreamer // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I currently have invisaligns right now too. I am almost done with my treatment. I am so happy my teeth are now straight but they are a pain to wear and keep the buttons properly clean. I can't wait to get them off and get my teeth whitened. :)
    http://www.mintnotion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I started eating in about 2 years ago, and we've saved so much money by doing so. We each take turns cooking, or we cook meals together, which is really fun. Pinterest of course is a great place to find quick and easy (and delicious) recipes! We allow ourselves to go out about once a week if we feel like it, though!
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest has been a savior! I bookmarked a lot of recipes, so we never have the excuse of not knowing what to make. And we are making weekend brunch our special meal out, which makes it feel so nice and relaxing.

      Delete
  6. I love eating in -- especially learning how to cook new things

    http://hashtagliz.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your resolutions are fantastic & I love that they are truly attainable to your everyday life. I had invisalign when I was in high school and I was so pleased with the results! Best of luck! xx

    http://hannahhappily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great plans for new year! I want to eat in more too:P

    Shall We Sasa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'd like to eat out a little more! I love cooking and I usually eat a very balanced, mediterranean diet... So I want to try new things and new foods! I feel you on being proactive though, will work on that too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on the first and last one! My bank has an app that shows me a breakdown of what I spend my money on each month (certain percentage on bills, certain percentage on homewares, etc), and I spend almost 50% on eating out. Isn't that nuts?! Something that's helped me eating at home more was buying veggies, fruits and other basics (milk, bread, eggs, etc) all in one go, and then buying the protein or whatever else needed to finish the meal I planned the day of. That way I don't feel overwhelmed when looking in my fridge and thinking "eh, it's just easier to order a pizza."

    Also, I had braces in high school for two years and finally getting them off and seeing how straight my teeth were was a wonderful experience. I know with Invisalign it might not be a dramatic reveal, but it does feel good to see the result after all of the progress.

    P.S. This really isn't related, but it's so nice to see that one of my favorite "old school" bloggers is still writing blog posts and feeling inspired; I started blogging a few years ago, and lately I've been getting kind of discouraged because a lot of my old favorites stopped blogging or don't blog very much because they feel the market is oversaturated (which is understandable, of course), but I get kind of sad thinking about this awesome community dying out, so thank you for continuing to post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your** smile looks great so far! I'm sure you'll be really happy with your results!

    I made a more obtainable list for myself as well. I labeled them as goals instead of resolutions. Some are short term and some are a bit more long term. I did a post on it the other week!
    :]


    -Kristina
    chrysanthemmumm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm terrible about making plans too. I think it's because I'm an introvert. I'm not as eager to go out. There are moments when I feel like it but not too often. That's probably not your issue though is it?

    http://geminae.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eating in more is definitely a great (but difficult) goal to keep. It saves money and allows for so much more culinary creativity!
    Also, so wonderful to hear you've been loving Invisalign! I did Invisalign a few years ago and was happy with my results, too.
    Happy 2015! ♥♥♥

    Circus & Bloom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, that first one should definitely be on my list too haha! It's not so much the eating out that's the problem, but the ordering in! I've become so lately with actually cooking dinner the past year or so and the amount of money we spend on take out and groceries is terrible.
    I can't wait to get properly stuck in to my Invisalign treatment - I'm currently on 11 of 54 so I still have another year or so to go but I can't wait to see the end results!
    Have a great week!
    xo April

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely need to eat in more and that's on my list of goals for 2015 - at the very top haha

    http://StorybookApothecary.com ♥ stop by and chat!

    ReplyDelete