Monday, February 16, 2015

Makeup Monday: My First Lash Extensions




1. Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer / 2. Urban Decay Naked Foundation / 3. Bare Minerals Correcting Concealer / 4. MAC Isabel and Ruben Toledo Blush Ombre in "Kindergarten Red" / 5. Urban Decay Naked Illuminated in "Luminous"  / 6. MAC Isabel and Ruben Toledo Lipstick in "Tenor Voice" / 7. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Mechanical Brow Pencil in "Dark Brown" / 8. Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade Waterproof Brow Color in "Soft Brown"

(Flower crown by Little Dame

Lash extensions are such a polarizing topic: everyone I talk to either worships at their altar or adamantly dismisses them. Being that most of the latter point to it diminishing the natural lash in length and volume, I felt like I had nothing to lose (except the money, of course). My lashes are short, thin, and tragically straight. I usually don't even bother with mascara, because it shows nothing. They won't hold a curl for more than a few minutes, no matter what I do. In fact, they're so straight, they actually slant downward. 

Now, I'm the type of person who will talk and talk about wanting to get something done while simultaneously putting it off (like getting Invisalign - which has been so worth it), so it's no surprise that I did the same thing with lash extensions. I'll research and bookmark and take notes and get super obsessive about it, and then just find a reason not to do it. I don't know what made me finally take the plunge - there was no special occasion or event involved - but I made an appointment at Bling Lash and gave it a shot. If you've never had lash extensions before, there are a bajillion different options that will make the whole thing very confusing and overwhelming, if you're really bad at making decisions (like I can be) and don't have someone walking you through the process. There are different types of curls, different shapes, different materials, widths, lengths. I went with a very modest look (natural shape, synthetic mink, 10 mm length) , to dip my toes in the lash extension pond. But when asked what type of curl I wanted, I couldn't remember which was which and I panicked, like a weirdo! I ended up with the J curl (natural curve), and I realized that I should have gone with the B curl (curled), since my lashes are so straight. Without that extra curl, the lashes are still not as visible as I would like. So, would I try it again? Absolutely. But I might go for a little more flutter, next time.

Have you tried lash extensions? What are your thoughts? 


25 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! I would love to try the lash extensions with the B curl :)

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy wow, your lips are incredible! Teach me your ways!

    Tessa at Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so pretty and natural on you, I wouldn't have guessed you were wearing extensions! Your lips and flower crown look amazing on you too- such beautiful colours!

    Emma xo // Wallflower Wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flawless make up look, as always!!

    http://lartoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look gorgeous Keiko! I have tried lash extensions once, I got them done before my wedding as I wanted to have perfect lashes throughout my honeymoon, where I figured I wouldn't want to be wearing any trace of make-up.

    I've got to say I absolutely loved how they look initially, and didn't feel the need to wear any mascara, but after two, three weeks they start to fall off and that phase definitely put me off.
    Unless you have the patience (and a chunky wallet) to maintain them in perfect condition every two weeks, the final stage is a downer as you end up with weird gaps in your lashes. Not a good look! For that reason, I don't think I'll be getting lash extensions again, but as I said, with good maintenance it's totally worth it.

    Rita
    http://heyrita.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've been wanting to try lash extensions for some time now. your's look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful no matter what! But... I am a sucker for eyelash extensions! They always look so darn good!
    www.blograyofsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These lashes are beautiful! I love this look<3

    Shall We Sasa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous look! Love the lip color

    Mel
    www.girlandthepolkadot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have very straight, short and sparse lashes, too. Having heard lots of buzzing good reviews on lash extensions, I went for it at the end of last year. I don't know about the place you tried, but the beautician who did mine didn't do the best job as I hoped - she left a few gluey mess around my lids to start with, and some of the lashes were glued in the wrong direction, which made almost impossible to curl them properly. I ended up pulling them off gradually to make them look right and they didn't last long as a result.
    The other thing about wearing fake lashes was that I felt like I could not remove make up properly and that also put me off using mascara on. Because I have such thin lashes, even with the extensions, I felt like I needed to add some mascara. I also did not enjoy the plastic-like, artificial feeling every time I washed my face, either. Overall from my experience it was pure waste of money but I must say, your lashes look fabulous! :)

    ps/ I recommend you to try heated lash curler with mascara + normal lash curler, if you like to keep your curls all day long. Some mascaras do get melted away with the heat, so it would only work on certain mascaras such as Clinique lash power mascara or seventeen doll'd up mascara which I use. Probably it would be wise not to use on your fake lashes as the heat might affect the lash glue. Anyway, I think I can safely say I'm happier with my own lashes with a little bit of my makeup trick over having fake lashes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My eyelashes are my best natural feature so eyelash extensions aren't even on my radar, but my friends who have tried them always love them, look great with them, and then complain about how brutal they are on the natural lashes when they get them removed (but not like, painful brutal). I guess if you don't have much in the way of lashes to begin with it's not going to matter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how natural these look on you. Most lash extensions I've seen are very obvious- but these look like your natural lashes. I love them! I have never had lash extensions- but mainly because I'm terrified of someone being that close to my eye(s) for such a long period of time, ha.
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems to be perfect experience! Anyway, you are s beautiful!

    Maggie from
    http://secretpassageinthebilberrypay.blogspot.ru/2015/02/will-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your lashes look amazing! Love how natural they look! I've always been curious about lash extensions but terrified of the process. I think I'll stick with false lashes for now. :)
    xo,
    Blonde Nouveau

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard that castor oil works miracles for lashes, so I've been putting it religiously for the past 2-3 weeks. You could try that - just put some oil on a Q tip and rub the lashes (especially the roots), and then wipe the excess oil from the lid. It is not aggressive to the eyes, your vision might get a bit blurry. I think my lashes are more nourished, if nothing else. I also put it on my brows, and I heard some people put it on their hair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried them, but I've heard that the next time you go and get a fill, they are supposed to be better than the first time around. I think it's one of those things that takes a little trial and error to get the right look you want. These look totally natural on you though, but i understand why you might want more of an effect :)
    xo dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not tried lash extension before but am certainly quite interested to do it! Love your make-up look especially the red lips, very alluring color!

    Prudence
    www.prudencepetitestyle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omg these look so natural on you!

    - Liz
    LizLizo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved and hated the extensions I got. I tried it twice to try a different look. The first time I went with a more natural look and loved it, but I hated the second and third week since they started falling out and looked funny and I just couldn't justify spending $$ every two weeks when I had other priorities. The second time I went for a more dramatic look, but it was too much for my eye shape and look, but at least I know now. I would probably do them again for special occasions, but otherwise for an everyday thing I'll just stick with my eyeliner and falsies.

    lovemailee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look so pretty on you
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Found your blog recently and I’d like to say that I’m in love with it!
    Interesting posts and beautiful photos!
    I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete