Monday, March 9, 2015

Choosing The Right Red Lipstick For You


(Click for full size) Left to right: Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme in Blow, Core Cora, Goddess, Je T'aime, Miss Scarlet, Oh Miley, and Rei of Light, $30 each.





Before I start this post, I'd like to mention that this is not sponsored (and I will always let you know if it is). However, when Marc Jacobs Beauty sent me seven of their Le Marc Lip Cremes in varying shades of red, complete with a guide on how to choose the right red for you, I figured it would make a great comparison post. No, I'm not going to tell you how to choose the perfect red. Why? Because I come from the "wear what you want" school of thought, and don't believe that rules apply to makeup. Sure, there are helpful guidelines, tips and tricks to follow - but in the end, it's all about what makes you feel confident and happy. My best advice is to try them all on and decide for yourself - and make sure you're buying from a source with a great return policy, just in case it doesn't work out.


(The Marc Jacobs Beauty guide to red lipsticks)

You can read ten different guides on how to choose the right lipstick for you, what goes with what skin tone (why is it so hard to find your undertones? I still get confused), what colors to avoid. They'll all say something different. And that's okay, because it's all a matter of opinion; I don't think any of them are wrong. I just don't think they should be viewed as absolute, because half of the fun is experimenting. And guess what? Some of my favorite shades weren't on my spectrum. I tried all seven lipsticks, yesterday. Check them all out, below and let me know your favorites!


First up is Blow, a dark berry shade. I really like the formula of these lipsticks; they're smooth and easy to apply, highly pigmented, and long lasting (though I am admittedly going by the only one I've worn all day, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). However, Blow takes a lot of precision (as most dark lipsticks do), and of all of them, it was the only one that was a little streaky when I first applied. Nothing too noticeable, but worth pointing out that it took a little extra care to get it just right.


I usually stay away from corals, so I was pleasantly surprised that Core Cora stood out as one of my favorites. I love that it's not too bright, because electric corals can make me look a little wan.


Goddess is described as a "deep maraschino" - I would describe this as a very classic, true red.


Je T'aime is another standout favorite, even though I think of it as more of a rose hue. It's described as "rum raspberry" and will probably read as more of a berry on those with more pigmented lips.


Miss Scarlet, "deep ruby" / brick red. This is great if you're looking for something in between the bright and the vampy reds.


Oh Miley is very similar to Goddess, but is slightly cooler and lighter. "Strawberry" is the best way to describe this. Both shades are worth checking out, if you're looking for a long lasting, vibrant red.


Rei of Light, a brownish brick red. With its demi-matte finish, it reminds me of an updated 90s it-girl shade (which I'm clearly into).

What shades are your favorite?





38 comments:

  1. Unbelievable! All these red shades look amazing on you!

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a lipstick person.
    But it looks soooo good on you. :) ♥
    www.color-castles.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attest to wearing whatever shade, as my philosophy in life is to live unapologetically

    Www.whimsicalzoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all gorgeous but je t'aime is my fave

    thebeautybloss.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so pretty in red lipstick

    Mel
    www.girlandthepolkadot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Your skin tone it's so pure and white! I'm more of a brunette with darker skin, so the bright reds are bad on Me I think. I loved Blow, Miss Scarlet, Rei of Light those are the darker shades and I love them!

    -SJay
    The Chronic Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never ever heard warm toned people being told to avoid orange reds before, so you're definitely right that these guides are pretty useless in reality as I *think* I'm warm toned and orange reds are by far the best on me! Although I do quite often happily wear blue-toned reds too... so yes, you're completely right, you don't know what it's going to be like on you until you try it! That coral shade above is really beautiful and quite unique, I'd like to get my hands on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't heard of that, either! Although to be honest, I've heard so many conflicting ideas about it...I just ignore the rules.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful Post, I highly appreciate those people who share some good information, because I like those people who actually share :).
    Laundry Service Richmond

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! I really think u look great in any red lip color<3

    Shall We Sasa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You really can pull off any red! And you have such lovely lips! I honestly feel like getting them ALL after reading your post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of them looks great !

    http://www.fruityandpassion.com/2015/03/lfw-day-3-anna-k-dinara-nurlan.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips and gorgeous shades!
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This might be my favorite post of yours yet! And yes, why is is so hard to figure out undertones???

    Heidi
    www.wishesandreality.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I don't know...I'm convinced that I have both yellow and pink undertones, because everyone tells me something different. I see both! I'm like this peachy color. haha!

      Delete
  14. Yet you can pull off all of these reds!!! Amazing! :)

    These tips come really in handy and I'd like to get my first red lipstick. Somehow I don't feel comfortable wearing a red lipstick as I feel it looks so weird on me. Maybe these tips will help me finding the perfect shade!


    Rita
    http://heyrita.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you can pull off all of these colours so well! It's such a wide spectrum of reds, too. I have been the MJ lipsticks floating around on Instagram and am so happy you did a post like this to compare all of them instead of just highlighting one or the other.

    xo,
    katrina
    thedemuremuse.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. they ALL look so amazing on you!! how do you like the formula compared to the NARS audacious line??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't tried any of them, yet. I buy all my own NARS product, and didn't get around to it...aka didn't want to kill my bank account because I don't know when to stop.

      Delete
  17. Keiko, they all look super cool
    I like the ones which are into true red

    I wonder if you tried to use red lipstick as an under eye circle remover. I have tried recently, was so impressed with the results!!!

    http://dushonok.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't - I'd be worried about how my eyes would react! Mine are very sensitive.

      Delete
  18. i dont wear much of lipstick because i fell like i cant pull it off but i do have a question, im assuming you tried them all around the same time since youre wearing the same outfit but how do you remove the lipstick without looking like you irritated your lips?
    my sister and friends usually look like they super mega rubbed their lips against a wall or something!

    hmm...maybe a post on proper makeup removal would help out a lot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, using an oil based makeup remover helped a lot, and I used Aquaphor in between. After my last color, I took all of my makeup off and let them soak up some moisture.

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much for showing all of the colors! I've been meaning to try out those lipsticks for awhile, but I've never taken the plunge. I can't wait to go grab some!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look good on you, yet I'll say that Goddess is really a standout!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just from the swatches on your arm, I liked Rei of Light but looking at your pictures, Miss Scarlet looks great too.

    http://sunovereden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow !!! This look is perfect!Everything is fresh, colorful and delicate <3
    http://www.nuevarebaja.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. love this post. I was in the market for a bright red lipstick myself. This helps.

    ~ xo Sheree
    http://poshclassymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. love them all! they all look so amazing on you!

    City Style

    ReplyDelete
  25. As I say that... It lets me comment.. awesome. lol Anyways, I am loving these reds on you. They look so gorgeous! Have you used the Stiffer Upper Lip Stain from younique? I buy mine here. https://www.youniqueproducts.com/staceykovach/products/view/US-22301-00 The red is simply gorgeous. and it stays ALL DAY. I realize that is a huge claim to make.. I watched a girl put it on and then roll a wine glass across her lips and it stayed on her lips and looked perfect! It was AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love Blow! These are all such fantastic reds, and all of them are wonderfully flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm totally taking this post to my hair dresser on Saturday. Your cut is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete